[whatwg] internationalization/localization

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Martin Kutschker wrote:

> Well, now what? I see the problem. Do I understand it correctly that we
> simply say getting locale and time zone is outside the spec, so browser
> developers must deal with it.

Pretty much. That's what ECMAScript says.

> Sure. Anyway web/gtraphics designers loath everything they cannot
> control. If it cannot be controlled at least to some degree it simply
> won't be used.

Eventually XBL will be able to fully control this stuff.

> So I vote for either some kind of pattern (eg format="d.m.y") or some
> style type (eg format="compact" => "1.12.2003" or format="long" =>
> Mittwoch, der 30. Juni 2004", or some other types).

I'm not convinced that we need this on the date controls themsevles. Those
should automatically adapt to the user's locale, why would the author want
to control that further at the format level?

If we do allow this I think we should delay specifying exactly how that
works until we work on Web Controls 1.0, which I was intending to have
cover this sort of detail.