[whatwg] Re: Transition from Legacy to Native rendering

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004, Jim Ley wrote:

> > > So, what method do we use?
> >
> > If IE has JS enabled, then you can just use the IE extensions that
> > implement Web Forms 2 in IE,
>
> No I can't, they will not meet my QA teams requirements (HTC's are
> outlawed, they're SHITE!)

Please refrain from such offensive language in this mailing list.

I have no interest in debating the adequacy of IE's HTC technology, but
note that as Dean pointed out, Microsoft use them extensively on their own
corporate Web site.

> In any case if you remember, the need to identify if support is provided
> for the browser behaviour is if we need to include the IE extensions,
> since we've just shown that the proposed method doesn't work in IE, we
> need another method to know if we need our legacy fix up script to run.

It is trivial to detect WinIE in JS. (It is even easier to conditionally
load HTCs only in IE. But that's another story.)

> > instead of treating it like a legacy UA. So this isn't a problem.
>
> So you're saying IE is the only UA that does this, could you point me
> to the test cases you used and which UA's you actually tested on?

   http://www.hixie.ch/tests/adhoc/dom/html/flow/p/001.html

Recent builds of Opera, Mozilla, and Safari.

> Could you also list where the behaviour is outlawed, and in which
> specification?

DOM2 HTML lists the members one should see on HTMLParagraphElement
instances. "bogusattribute" is not one of them.