[whatwg] repetition model

On Jun 25, 2004, at 1:58 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:

>> My point is that the [id] hack necessarily begets other hacks, which
>> is
>> just further evidence of its hackishness.  The only better solution is
>> to get rid of [id].
>
> Other hacks? There are exactly two hacks. The search for [id], and the
> initial [] to prevent the search for [id].

It started as one.  Then we realized it required two.  Who knows if
there'll be any more?
But that's not really my point.  Two is bad enough.

> How do you distinguish the "end of group" marker from an actual value?
> This is at least as much of a hack as the [] thing.

The [] thing has to be implemented by the UA, and has to be part of the
spec, and is universal.  My workaround is just that - a workaround,
only needed in certain circumstances (nested repeats combined with
broken CGI libs), needing no additions to the spec, and where each
developer can choose the "end of group" marker as they please, to be
something arbitrarily unlikely to occur as an actual value.

Anyway, I think the later suggestion to just auto-append .13.5 and so
on to name attributes is probably a better one.