[whatwg] Re: Web Forms 2: Altenative to <select editable>

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Malcolm Rowe wrote:
> Ian Hickson writes:
>> Ok I read the thread on <select editable> and here is a summary of the
>> ideas that seemed worth considering:
>>
>> [<select editable>]
>> Con: In down-level clients, can only select from the list.
>
> To be honest, I think that this 'Con' is a show-stopper for this method. If
> we have to choose between the legacy version being a 'select' or being 'an
> editable' (i.e., a text box), then I think we should choose the latter.

Fair point.

> As you point out, we do also have the option of using both: a text box
> paired with a select, in some form. While that provides the right
> functionality in legacy clients, it'd be quite complex to author and use
> (at the server-side), and I'd imagine, very complex for UA authors to
> support.

Yeah, I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

> Just for the record, what I eventually ended up suggesting was something
> you didn't mention. It worked out to something like this:
>
>    <input type="email" name="test" data="...">
>     <option>foo</option>
>     <option>bar</option>
>    </input>
>
> .. but I also noted several problems with that approach.

That wouldn't be parsed that way in HTML (tag soup) parsers.

would be siblings, and you'd end up with browsers doing all kinds of
strange things.

It could work in XHTML-only pages, but we'd need a solution in the
meantime for HTML4 pages.