[whatwg] repetition model

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, Jim Ley wrote:

> Could you cite the bit where the HTML WG say that text/html cannot
> contain namespaces or must be parsed as HTML (whatever that means in any
> case)?  the text/html mime-type is very liberal it's defined as
> tag-soup, and clients are encou

(Seems your e-mail got cut short.)

The text/html MIME type RFC only allows XHTML that is "compatible" with
HTML4 to be used. Which basically means XHTML1 Appendix C. None of which
includes XForms in any way.

Also, when asked how text/html should be parsed, the HTML WG replied:

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2000Sep/0024.html

> Seen as a script only X-Forms in IE would be very similar to what you're
> doing with REPEAT, I'm still not really seeing the motivation behind the
> WHATWG approach. It's only IE6 legacy you want to support, then XForms
> is not a problem, we could concentrate on getting real evolution in web
> products.

XForms isn't backwards compatible. It doesn't gracefully degrade, for one.

(Also, XForms has a number of other problems. But that's off-topic for
this list.)