[whatwg] <output> and onforminput

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 12:53:04 +0000 (UTC), Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, Jim Ley wrote:
> >
> > Oh right, so you're actually talking a load of crap with your supporting
> > legacy clients, you're actually just wanting to support one legacy
> > client.
>
> Sorry, I thought this was clear... Is there somewhere on the site or in
> the specs where this is misleading? I'd be happy to correct it.

Well, let's start with this page:

http://whatwg.org/news/start

you're initial press release, mentions backwards compatibility as a
key goal, not backwards compatibility with IE6, but screw everyone
else, who's invested in a browser.

So that needs clarifying as it's very misleading of the aims your now
describing.

"The working group intends to ensure that all its specifications
address backwards compatibility concerns"

Is not "The WG intends to ensure that IE6 folk are ok, but screw the
rest"  which is
what you're now saying is the approach.

Indeed, google cannot find "internet explorer", "IE" or "IE6"
mentioned anywhere on the WHATWG.org site, so I'm not sure how we were
supposed to get any impression that backwards compatibility meant
anything other than backwards compatibility.

Jim.