[whatwg] Re: autocomplete=off

Jim Ley writes:
>> Banks require this of UAs anyway. IE and Mozilla implemented this years
>> ago. WF2 is just documenting implemented behaviour.
> Banks DO NOT require this, as I explained it's trivial to override in
> all existing UA's with a MUST restriction it would become impossible
> to override.

I assure you that banks *DO* require this, to the extent that they actively
block clients that don't support it, but otherwise allow the user to
remember usernames/passwords. Admittedly, that list is essentially 'old
versions of Mozilla', but the only reason it's not 'all versions of Mozilla'
is support for that attribute.

And while there *is* a hidden pref in Mozilla to get it to ignore that
attribute (IIRC), it's hardly 'trivial' to override. What's more, if we
started publicising that pref heavily, I strongly suspect that banks would
'de-support' Mozilla until such time as the pref was removed.

See bugzilla for examples. Financial institutions really really DO require
this of clients; stating it as anything other than a MUST requirement would
be pointless (although I'm happy for Mozilla to continue to be non-compliant
in this area of the spec).

Regards,
Malcolm