Transition from Legacy to Native rendering - (was Re: [whatwg] repetition model)

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 17:37:34 +0200, Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen
<hallvors at online.no> wrote:
> On 14 Jun 2004 at 0:58, Jim Ley wrote:
> if(! (document.implementation && document.implementation.hasFeature
> && document.implementation.hasFeature('WebForms', '2.0') ) ){
>    // create SCRIPT element or write SCRIPT tag linking in the WF2
>    // JavaScript libraries here
> }

I think you're slightly confused in your logic but I get the idea.

The problem with this though is that only a 100% complete
implementation could claim to support WebForms 2.0 (otherwise we'd
still need to include our script for part that was not implemented,
for example an implementation that does everything but the REPEAT
element still needs our script elements to do that, the rough and
ready approach of hasFeature is too impractical) - Not surprisingly
this is why we've never seen much use of it on the web.

> If it gets implemented first in Opera and Mozilla and they do not add
> support for CSS behaviours it is of course tempting to just use a CSS
> behaviour property for IE.

No, IE is not the only client, there are hundreds of legacy clients,
including lots that cannot be upgraded - either because of cost, or
because of platform limitations.

Jim.