[whatwg] Web Forms 2.0 comments

Sander wrote:

> I therefore propose extending the precision attribute as currently
> specified by also allowing a numerical value, any numerical value,
> which would act as a "step" between possible numerical values to be
> selected by the element.

I agree with this.

 > Sideways related to this extension to precision, I have started
 > questioning the "range" input type. How would this act (aka, display)
 > without "min" and "max" values?

That's a good point.

 > The semantic value of this element seems dubious, with it seemingly
 > being included merely to force "display: slider" on an element

The semantic difference between 'number' and 'range' is, as the spec says,
that 'range' "indicates that the exact value is not important". For a
number, the exact value the user is entering must be displayed. For a
range, a slider with a coarse number line is sufficient.

> I propose dropping range and perhaps instead recommending that (lacking
> styling hints to the contrary) user agents display all type="number"
> input elements, with min and max values less than x steps apart, as
> 'sliders'.

A typical UI for a number is a "spinner" widget, not a slider.
That's the one that has little up/down arrows alongside a short
text input.

http://www.osc.edu/~jbryan/FLU/images/Flu_Spinner_Try.gif

> On which subject: Hixie, are you interested in editorial comments on the
> Web Forms draft yet, or is it still too early for that?

I've got a full printout marked up with them. How about waiting until
I'm through before doing your pass? :)

~fantasai

--
http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/contact