[whatwg] Why not JavaScript?

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Malcolm Rowe wrote:

> My impression is that WHAT addresses both: the Web Forms 2.0 spec
> improves the capabilities of those form-based 'web applications' that
> are implemented in terms of web pages, like Amazon and eBay, in a
> backward-compatible manner, and the Web Applications (and Web Controls?)
> specs are intended to allow applications to look more like 'regular'
> applications, presumably including things like toolbars, menu bars, and
> so on (disclaimer: I've not looked at the WebApps spec properly).

This is correct, although even with Web Apps the apps will still be Web
pages, not on the same level as native applications (which is what XAML
and XUL would want them to be).

I really don't think you can do a native application feel over the Web.
If you drop the Web browser "prison", it is too easy to spoof UIs and
trick users into entering private data into untrusted apps (even if you
have technically sandboxed the applications).