[whatwg] Suggested changes to Web Forms 2.0, 2004-07-01 working

On 16 Jul 2004 at 21:16, Jim Ley wrote:

> > The second I just didn't get the point of.  It
> > isn't a date, it's a number.
>
> The point of that one is that it's very often accepted by user agents
> that use javascript new Date() constructs (and similar)

Why is it a problem that a number no user would ever type in as a
date could be parsed as one by a javascript function?

> You've also dodged one of the points, all of those dates were the same
> day, they are not parsed as the same day though.  I have a problem
> with that.

The VBScript solution posted could be used to parse an ambiguous date

1) with an eye on the user's locale, which might help deciding how to
parse an ambiguous date
2) in order to format and display the date in a non-ambiguous way to
the user so that the user can spot errors and correct a date that has
been misunderstood.

> > (Trust me, if you are trying to make a web browser in a foreign country
> > work this would be the least of your worries.  Finding where the keys
> > are on the keyboard is generally a bigger problem in my experience!)
>
> Odd experience, did you spend your time in France or Dvorak-land ?
>
> I've always found the pretty normal Qwerty keyboard about.

If you are in the wrong country you may first have to work out how to
turn the IME off :-)

--
HRMS (currently living in France with a laptop bought in the UK and
four keyboard setups in Windows: en-gb, Norwegian, MS Japanese IME,