[whatwg] Markup for Web Forms 2.0 that still requires discussion

Will Levine wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 15:22:48 +0100, Jim Ley <jim.ley at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>><object name="combo" classid="urn:web-forms2-combobox">
>>  <label> or select from the list:</label>
>>  <select name="combo">
>>    <option>Item 1</option>
>>    <option>Item 2</option>
>>    <option>Item 3</option>
>>  </select>
>></object>
>>
>>So all that is necessary is defining the few self known classid's for
>>the different new elements, remember OBJECTs are already part of form
>>submissions in HTML 4.01.
>
> Whatever happened to this idea. It seems like it was never officially
> shot down, but discussion about it just died out. It still seems a
> good idea to me.

    There were two reasons for not using this. First, you'd have to have
a different |classid| for each input type. Next, you'd either have to
add new attributes to handle stuff like |value| and |name| or you'd have
to create a system for it using <param>, which would require a higher
learning curve. It's also my understanding that there were certain
complications involved with the |classid| value, but I forget what those
were.

    At any rate, <datalist> works fine and is easier to learn.