Rendering Unknown Elements and IE Support (was: Re: [whatwg] Suggestion: Implementation of Tabbed Forms)

Matthew Raymond wrote:
>    No, they [unknown elements] degrade nothing at all. They stay in the DOM, but they're
> really no better than comment blocks in IE. So instead of your above
> <concurrent> example being rendered like this (with indent indicating
> parent-child relationships in the DOM)...
>
> <concurrent style="display: none" />
> <exclusive style="display: none" />

   No, they don't.  The contents of an unknown element still render's on
screen, so it doesn't get the style of display: none;.

eg.

would render as:

    a paragraph containing unknown elements

which is the same as

but not the same as

      elements</p>

   So, as you can see, they effectively degrade to unstyled span
elements, except that they can never be styled.

>    Personally, I'm beginning to think we shouldn't worry about IE.
> We could just tell everyone running IE with Javascript disabled that if
> they want to use Web Apps 1.0, they either need JS turned on or they
> need to get a standards compliant browser.

   That's right, I don't think we should either.  I'd just tell all IE
user's to get a standards compliant browser whether or not they had JS
enabled, but then the buisiness and marketing people who we developers
make websites for, won't allow us to write anything like that on the
websites.  Normally, they wouldn't let us use anything that 90% of their
audience won't get any benefit from either, but if Web Apps, Web Forms
and Web Controls offers a clear benefit over supporting IE, then I think
that situation could change quite rapidly. That's why I don't think the
WHATWG should make the extensions to HTML, rather than just an XHTML module.

> You never know; Microsoft could turn around tomorrow and fix this
> problem so that you can apply styling to unknown elements. /me shrugs.

Microsoft could do lots of things.  Since they effectively ceased
development of IE over the last few years, they could:
* Make IE at least as standards compliant as Mozilla, Opera and Safari.
* Ship Firefox, Thunderbird and Opera with future versions of Windows
* Offer those user agents as updates via Windows Update,
* Advertise to their users the reasons why, and how to switch.
* Make IE open source, so programmers who actually cared about standards
   could help code it. (but that would probably reveal more security
   holes than Microsoft could deal with)

   Or anything else you can think of, but since Microsoft cares more
about their market share for a dead browser rather than supporting
standards, they're unlikely to do any of those any time soon.

--
Lachlan Hunt

http://www.lachy.id.au/
lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au