[whatwg] Syntax Highlighting [was: several messages]

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:59:48 +0000, James Graham <jg307 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> J. King wrote:
> > On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 10:04:56 +0000, Jim Ley <jim.ley at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> how do you expect the feature to be tested in implementations then?
> >
> That's a bit like saying "how do you expect to test that a UA treats an
> <em> element as emphasized"? It can't be done - all that you can check
> is that the UA behaves in a manner consistent with the metadata being
> provided

You're misunderstanding what tested in implementations means in the
context I was using it, unless the feature is proven to work, by
having it existing and doing something in a user agent, it shouldn't
be in the spec, this is why W3c specs now have the 2 implementations
of each feature rule.  I realise the process of this group is so much
more ad-hoc and it's just whatever the editor wants goes in, but
surely at some point it's going to put on a real footing where that
sort of rule needs to exist.

As you note Konqueror could do it, but have the konqueror developers
shown any interest in Hixie's specs?

Jim.