[whatwg] Any way to submit only those parts of a form that have changed?

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 08:23:23 +0000 (UTC), Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> I don't buy the bandwidth argument. This kind of thing doesn't even appear
> on the radar when compared to bittorrent or RSS traffic.

bittorrent or RSS isn't relevant to the mobile phone user, or the host
of websites, both of these care about the bandwidth of what they're
actually using, reducing bandwidth in requests makes the sites more
usable, as the request size is smaller.

> The processing power doesn't seem like a big thing either -- comparing
> strings is not that expensive, and you have to do it anyway, to test for
> data integrity and prevent invalid data from being submitted, etc.

No you don't, if there's no FOO field submitted, you don't need to do
any comparison on it for anything, it's just immediately rejected.

> Not to
> mention that you'd have to do the comparisons anyway to support down-level
> clients.

There's lots of features in WF2 that are only relevant to new clients,
so what's the problem with this one?

Jim.