[whatwg] Accesskey in Web Forms 2

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Matthew Raymond wrote:

> Also, I'd like to point out that there's virtually no reason to add
> markup to enable custom access key functionality to browsers. There's
> very little information a browser could get about a control that isn't
> already in a control element's semantics and its <label> and |id|,
> |name| and |title| attributes. If a UA can't create a list of controls
> to bind to from all of these sources of information, I doubt more markup
> would help. I like James Graham's idea of simply saying that UAs
> "should" provide such functionality and leaving it up to the UA to
> decide how.

I added the following to Web Apps:

  should allow users to conveniently access or activate hyperlinks,
  form controls, and other interactive parts of Web content using the
  keyboard, without having to cycle through all such content.</p>

> I agree. Many of the problems with |accesskey| could be fixed with some
> creative thinking on the part of UA vendors. Let's come up with
> suggestions and guidelines for how to fix these problems rather than
> creating a more complicated system most users won't use.

Ok, the attribute isn't deprecated anymore, just optional. I added a note
saying it had problems. But I'm still tempted to just go back to
deprecating it and forgetting the whole thing.