[whatwg] Copyright of specifications

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 22:00:08 +0000 (UTC), Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> The suggestion of public domain was only brought up briefly during an
> unminutted meeting,

No it wasn't, you mentioned at least twice on seperate occasions on
this mailing list.

>and was very quickly dismissed as unworkable by the
> people who know such things.

So why did you not mention this before? e.g. last time I asked for on
update on the copyright issue.

> Like I said, I have no interest in
> questioning the reasons or methods of our lawyers,

they aren't your lawyers, you're acting as spokesperson of the WHAT-WG
an organisation which _does not_ recognise Opera as being a member of
it, I realise that this is a difficult situation for you being in both
camps, but please remember it is of your making and you need to try
and ensure the two are kept seperate, after all the entire charter of
the WHAT WG relies on this.

> > As you just said above, you're not a lawyer...  and I certainly have no
> > idea about Norwegian law, but certainly in US law it's not possible to
> > give a licence that cannot be revoked.
>
> I shall forward your concerns.

can you ask for an _urgent_ response, after all 2 months is already
extremely negligent time for what you've described as being very
simple issues.   Would you also please request that you are allowed to
post their response to the mailing list?

> > So I think I am right to be concerned, could you be clearer about
> > exactly the advice the lawyers gave you,
>
> No, I can't be any clearer than I have been already.

Why not?  you've said nothing at all about the advice they've given so far.

> > Why not?  What's happening, why the delay?
>
> I have no idea, I'm not involved in the patent matter personally.

Who is the WHAT-WG member responsible then?   Can you please get them
to pull their finger out...

Also you neglected to mention my concerns that you didn't have the
advice from the Opera lawyers in respect of the WHAT-WG specification
in writing? (I'm willing to forego the obvious conflict in interest
here, that the Opera lawyers obviously have to act in the best
interest of Opera and not the WHAT-WG...)

Jim.