[whatwg] Re: media types

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 23:56:29 +0000 (UTC), Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

>> So basically there would probably be only media type active at the same
>> time. However, there is a big problem when using a multimodal browser
>> [1] which allows different modes visual/aural(/tactile) at the same
>> time.
>>
>> Different mediatypes would be mutually exclusive within a mode, e.g. you
>> can't have screen and projection at the same time (they're in the same
>> mode), but you can have projection and speech, or handheld and speech at
>> the same time (they're in different modes).
>
> At the moment the DOM doesn't support this kind of UA. There is only one
> View -- the defaultView, which in Web Apps is defined as being the same
> as
> the global window object -- and thus only one set of computed styles, and
> thus only one set of stylesheets that apply.

When two modes are running simultaneously (say 'screen' and 'speech'),
there are two stylesheets applying, one to each mode (or, better: canvas),
and they can have different computed styles.

> Frankly I would consider such a UA to be non-compliant if it used the
> same window object for both rendering modes.

Are you thus suggesting a UA would be less in breach when using two
parallel DOM trees? This of course would avoid possible clashes, but how
is communication between the two DOM trees then possible? Would it not be
a better solution to have one DOM tree only, and two formatting structures
applying to the one window object?

/c

--
[Quote]
And she, remembering other things, to me trifles but torturing to her,