[whatwg] WF2 part 1-3

H?kon Wium Lie wrote:

> Also sprach fantasai:
>
>  > >  > This type is used most frequently for dates in European industry.
>  > >
>  > > editorial: "European industry" -> "Europe".
>  >
>  > Don't most people in Europe use the month+day system? I've never
>  > heard anyone say, "I'm going home in week 35," but plenty of people
>  > say, "I'm going home in August."
>
> In spoken language, months are much more common. However, when you
> sign up for holidays, or schedule a delivery or something (both are
> typical form use cases), week numbers are typically used. Also, week
> numbers are often more accurate. Instead of saying "i'll be on holiday
> the first week of august", it's more accurate to say "I'll be on
> holiday in week 32".
>
> My point was that this is not only used in "industry".

I could argue also that it's not only used in "Europe". The sentence
says "most frequently", not "only". If you prefer we can make it just
"frequently" instead of "most frequently".

(Also, I consider filling out absence forms and scheduling deliveries
to be activities within "industry".)

>  > > How do you envision the suggestion to appear? Semantic relationships
>  > > are useful for many purposes, but the poor programmer left to
>  > > implement the specification needs a few suggestions.
>  >
>  > Using Hixie's proposed combinator:
>  >
>  >    output[for]:hover /for/ *,
>  >    output[for]:focus /for/ * {
>  >      outline: invert dashed;
>  >    }
>  >
>  > CSS Selectors v. 3.5? :)
>
> And until then we hardcode a solution? I'd drop the "for" attribute in
> the first round.

I don't see any reason to. The UA is not *required* to implement it. The
UA *may* implement it. And the author may well take advantage of it with
scripting since it's defined.

>  > That won't work. The shortened syntax in HTML means that
>  > 'repeat' is the *value* of some attribute, not the name
>  > of some attribute. E.g.
>  >
>  >    <table border>
>  >
>  > is equivalent to
>  >
>  >    <table frame="border">
>  >
>  > not
>  >
>  >    <table border="">
>
> This works in my browser:

Yes, it works. The former is exactly equivalent to
and the latter to

 From HTML4:
   # The value "border" in the start tag of the TABLE element should
   # be interpreted as the value of the frame attribute.
                     -- http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/tables.html

> Even if we have to make up a dummy attribute to allow the short form
> to pass through SGML validators, I think it's worth it.

I don't. I don't see how it's clear what "repeat" by itself means,
and I therefore see no value in hacking up an extra attribute to make
it possible.

~fantasai

--
http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/contact