Re: Fallback for VR Mode

A few questions about WebXR implementation, which I can't quite figure out
from current documentation. I run the Los Angeles WebVR Meetup, and we're
having a discussion Thurs. on these topics with a new LA Khronos group
being formed:

https://www.meetup.com/Los-Angeles-WebVR-Meetup/

Is the idea of a "Reality" layer + "Augment" layers securely part of the
standard? Discussed on Mozilla, not here (I haven't been on a conference
call).

Can a "Reality" layer be pure sensor?

Can a "Reality" layer by an artificial 3D disconnected space?

The spec indicates that different layers could use something other than
WebGL - candidates for this?

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 12:27 PM, Ricardo Cabello <ricardocabello@google.com
> wrote:

> I agree with Brandon. This is not too different from having two webcams in
> your computer.
> You can choose which one you want to use in the browser's content settings.
>
> On 12 January 2018 at 02:06, Thomas Balouet <t.balouet@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think as of today, the main question would be asked on the Samsung S8,
>> which supports Daydream, Gear VR and of course Cardboard. Let's say the
>> user has both Oculus and Daydream already installed on its phone. In 2D
>> mode, if they launch a WebVR app on Samsung Internet Browser, then click
>> "Enter VR", it'll show the polyfill distortion. They can then choose to
>> plug the phone in the Gear VR, and it'll launch the same page in Samsung VR
>> browser (in flat mode though). If they do the same thing using Chrome,
>> it'll show an incentive to slide the phone in daydream viewer. So if I
>> wanted Cardboard I'd have to go into the settings (as Brandon says). On any
>> other browser, the polyfill will play its role, and if the user slides the
>> phone in daydream/gear vr, it'll launch the main lobby of each device, and
>> the user will have to navigate to the browser, then to its page...
>>
>> In some cases the choice is obvious (desktop, WebVR-only browser, non-VR
>> devices...), and for the few offering different choices (mainly Galaxy S6+
>> and Pixel), it'll depend on the 2D browser used. So there I think it should
>> be more on educating the user than offering a choice. Because anyway, if
>> I'm using Chrome on my S7, I'll have to go to a whole process (slide phone,
>> select browser, enter URL, click "Enter VR") to enter VR in my Gear VR. So
>> the users should know that if they want an easy WebVR process on Samsung,
>> they should use Samsung browser, on Google phones they should use Chrome...
>>
>> At least that's how things are today. Now we could think of a "preferred
>> VR mode" setting that the user would be invited to set at its first use of
>> WebVR, and then all "Enter VR", no matter the browser, would open that
>> mode. That's, in my opinion, the best way to go, but we'd need for all the
>> browser vendors to comply, as well as OS vendors...
>>
>> That's for my 2cents of thought. Have a nice day everyone!

>>> In general I would prefer that any user prompts are kept to a minimum,
>>> and in my experience they're not likely to be necessary. In a great many
>>> cases the choice of device is clear: Either there is no device, a single
>>> device, or the context of the request makes it very clear what device is
>>> preferred. For example: If I'm on a Samsung device that supports both
>>> GearVR and Daydream, but I'm in the Oculus browser launched via Oculus Home
>>> while wearing a GearVR it's pretty clear the user doesn't want to have a
>>> popup display every time they click a VR experience that says "Do you want
>>> to use GearVR or Daydream to view this?" Similarly on a desktop you will
>>> almost certainly have a single headset plugged in for
> [...]

=================
*Dr. Pete Markiewicz*
*Email:* pindiespace@gmail.com
*Portfolio:* http://plyojump.com
*Github:* http://github.com/pindiespace
*Linkedin:* http://linkedin.com/in/pindiespace
=================

*My "Ux in VR" presentations on Google Docs (note you can comment)WebVR 1.0
APIhttps://docs.google.com/presentation/d/13a29m0SbpTeItFP8fjrSoKNb7nsjAd4DC9lWnokWEfg/edit?usp=sharing
<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/13a29m0SbpTeItFP8fjrSoKNb7nsjAd4DC9lWnokWEfg/edit?usp=sharing>Sustainable
Ux in
VRhttps://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1OTXaz3RuV0HWgM754PRMUC7d2KYVHH974s5hnAt53wk/edit?usp=sharing
<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1OTXaz3RuV0HWgM754PRMUC7d2KYVHH974s5hnAt53wk/edit?usp=sharing>Sustainable
virtual design blog:* http://sustainablevirtualdesign.wordpress.com
*Sustainability template:* http://greenboilerplate.com
*Sustainable Ux in Virtual Reality for Sustainable Ux 2017 (narrated): *
*https://youtu.be/bU0tz05lcBw <https://youtu.be/bU0tz05lcBw>*
=================
*Buy my book! *- Millennials and the Popular Culture
*Lifecourse:* http://www.lifecourse.com/store/catalog/lca/mpc.html
*Amazon Author Page:*
http://www.amazon.com/Pete-Markiewicz/e/B0069VZ7BG/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_2
*On that page, see my DARPA Grand Challenge 2005 entry video, "Team
Robomonster":*
*Team Robomonster *(DARPA 2005 Grand Challenge):
http://robotsthatjump.wordpress.com/category/team-robomonster/
*Indiespace *(1st to sell downloaded music, March 1994):
http://www.indiespace.com. Also see http://archive.org under
"Kspace.com" 1996 for our original site.