From: Kieran Farr <kieran.farr@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 6:08:31 PM
To: Barry, Aguibou, Vodafone Group
Cc: public-webvr@w3.org
Subject: Re: Network bandwidth and Latency consideration to support quality WebVR experience

A quick attempt at thinking through some answers, but others please chime in with better responses:

  *   The library payload size is already larger than a standard web page (500kb for minified three.js alone, and then another webvr library like A-Frame adds another 500kb). Often the page will also still include other standard libraries like jquery, google analytics, etc.
  *   Obviously textures and objects in scene are larger than standard assets you'd see on a non WebVR web page, but the complexity of scenes varies widely so it's hard to know what is "normal" size at this early stage. It would be an interesting experiment to aggregate a bunch of webvr demos to get an average / median page size.
  *   Right now most WebVR scenes load everything up-front and there is no great implementations that I've seen (yet) of streaming assets with varying levels of detail, although that is totally possible and will just require some time for the libraries and third-party components to mature
  *   Most webvr 360º video implementations I've seen are very high bitrate (4Mbps and higher) with progressive (non HLS) streaming. Improvements will definitely be coming with both encoding and support for HLS and other multi-bitrate / segmented protocols.

So in summary - on the library / application layer it looks like there is significant room for improvement with streaming assets and 360º video compression improvements, and it sounds like on the mobile infrastructure side there will be improvements so maybe it will meet in the middle and everyone will be happy?

Kieran