Re: Methods and attributes being removed from Chrome 59's WebVR 1.1 implementation

Hello,

Thank you very much for your quick and positive answer.

We are still studying the WebVR API and how our device differs from the
current state. We will then do as you say and start a dedicated thread
dealing with the subject. I suppose this will take a couple of weeks. It
seems we are not the only ones dealing with this issue, so lets hope
this could be useful for many.

Thanks again,

Gabriel

Le 17-04-2017 20:22, Brandon Jones a écrit :

> The final shape of the standard is still in flux, (see the explainer [1] for the current state of things) so there's definitely a possibility to make reasonable changes to help take into account a wider range of devices. I would suggest starting a separate thread on this mailing list (public-webvr@w3.org) that describes what your device is and what you believe the current API incompatibilities are. Code/API samples demonstrating how your device works would be extremely helpful.
>
> I'll caution that if support for the device requires large scale refactoring or forces developers to treat your class of device differently than the majority of commercially available headsets it's unlikely that we would find it practical to incorporate those changes, but if it can be accommodated with a few modest tweaks we'll probably be happy to do so.
>
> --Brandon
>
> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 4:41 AM gabriel <gabriel@broomx.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm sorry to highjack this thread, I'm not sure where else to begin with my query as it doesn't seem fit to file an issue just yet. Please let me know if this is inappropriate, and direct me to the proper process.
>
> We are a Spanish company developing a VR home projection system (no HMD, link bellow), and are very interested in implementing WebVR at the core of player. We believe our project will define a new category of VR/AR displays, not taken in account in the present state of the WebVR standard.
>
> So our question is to know if such a product could be considered in the standard, and how to proceed in order to make our VR projector a registered device and integrate its specifications.
>
> Sorry once again if this is not the right place to begin, and please forgive my english.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Best regards,
>
> Gabriel Lecup
>
> Technical Coordinator
>
> www.broomx.com [2]
>
> gabriel@broomx.com
>
> Le 17-04-2017 07:44, Brandon Jones a écrit :
>
> The object returned from getFrameData is a superset of the data returned by getPose, so that information is still available even with getPose removed.
>
> On Sun, Apr 16, 2017, 6:03 PM Sean McBeth <sean.mcbeth@primrosevr.com> wrote:
>
> What does this mean for "head-locked" UI elements? With WebVR 1.1, there is no non-deprecated way to get the position and orientation of the head separately from that of the two eyes. In WebVR 2.0, there is a `poseModelMatrix` attribute in the `VRDevicePose` class. Though it hasn't yet been documented, the name seems pretty obvious.
>
> So if `getPose()` is getting removed from Chrome 59, is `poseModelMatrix` getting added, before WebVR 2.0 is finalized? Or are we going to have to try to decompose the `leftViewMatrix` and `rightViewMatrix` in some way to be able to recombine them?

> [...]

Links:
------
[1] https://github.com/w3c/webvr/blob/master/explainer.md
[2] http://www.broomx.com