Re: Delivering video content efficiently using the Web

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 19:40:08 +0100
Kai Hendry <hendry@webconverger.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Just to check if this forum is alive, I thought I would share a little
> demo I was working on, to attract clients with the "USB stick"
> problem.
>
> I.e. how to sync screens with video content over the Internet.

Hi Kai,

This forum is still alive though the activity is low currently.
I've been too busy for a few months.

Thanks for sharing your demos.

> I have a naive Appcache version here: http://vcache.webconverger.com/
> and another more robust file API version I'm slowly working upon. If
> anyone has done something similar or perhaps know a better way of
> using Web technologies, do please share.

I think  FileSystem API or Indexed DB are better and  more robust
than Appcache for storing video files.
Besides, Appcache may be changed or deleted from the HTML5 spec.
Appcache is marked as *at risk* in the HTML5 spec.
http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/

Personally, I prefer Indexed DB than FileSystem API.
Indexed DB is implemented by most of major browsers.
But File API is not.
Moziila is saying they won't support FileSystem API.
https://hacks.mozilla.org/2012/07/why-no-filesystem-api-in-firefox/
Microsoft and Apple also may not support FileSystem API

But I haven't tried Indexed DB for storing video files.
I'm not sure that Indexed DB works well in this case for now.
I'll try it when my current hard works are done.

Cheers,
Futomi

--
Newphoria Corporation