Re: SMIL in SVG

On 12 December 2012 15:12, John C. Wang <John.Wang@iadea.com> wrote:
> Example of Web incompatibility: the first link you provided earlier
> https://play.renewchannel.com/ does not play in my IE9 browser, which is
> either the #1 or #2 browser on the Web today. I'd say HTML incompatibility
> is a widely recognized phenomenon. Many websites break when you try to run
> them from mobile browsers.

Indeed it's a bad example, because Renew are pushing the envelope and
targeting only one browser and only one screen size. :( A bit like
what banks do with Internet Explorer. ;)

I still think there is a lot of room for getting the basics right that
we could work on here.

For example I was talking with a media agency today and hearing about
their problems when they purchase inventory from DOOH media owners.
The media owners often have to "convert" the media for their
proprietary systems in different awkward time-consuming ways. Their
media is usually pretty simple and I like to think a
scalable/responsive Web design can solve this problem far more
efficiently.

> Regarding your comment that "most DOOH deployments use a USB stick" today, I
> do have some reservation. If that were the case, we run the danger of
> dreaming up a fake problem to solve here. Digital signage whose content
> needs to change once a month is more likely than not to run on a network
> today, and most of them already use HTTP as the transport. I'd argue they
> are already "web-based".

I didn't see this coming. ;) Using the HTTP transport doesn't make it the Web.

The Web is the HTML marked up information that's accessible from
robots and browsers across devices that exist in the Web ecosystem
today. There is probably a far better definition somewhere, but that's
the best I could come up with at short notice.

Kind regards,