Re[6]: Gap analysis: SMIL

On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 21:20:12 +0800
Kai Hendry <hendry@webconverger.com> wrote:

> On 28 November 2012 17:47, Futomi Hatano <futomi.hatano@newphoria.co.jp> wrote:
> > I don't think so.
> > If so, why is SMIL used widely in signage industry?
>
> Surely that's a fallacy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

If that's a fallacy, is this article also a fallacy?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_signage#Standards
Actually, I'm not sure SMIL is used widely in signage industry,
because SMIL isn't used for signage at all in Japan (where I live in).

Although I'm not sure if SMIL is used widely or not,
it's true that SMIL is used in signage industry and
there are signage operators who want to enhance SMIL.

The doc reflects the statements for the workshop held at Japan in June this year.

W3C Workshop on Web-based Signage
http://www.w3.org/2012/06/signage/agenda.html

> >From what I've seen in the DOOH signage industry, vendors tout all
> sorts of crazy proprietary technologies which doesn't make their
> approach right.
>
> > A declarative approach make developing CMSs easier.
> > If we can use CMSs for signage contents, creating content will
> > be cost-effective.
>
> I don't think there needs to be any special language changes to
> support a Web signage CMS.

Me too.

"A declarative approach" mentioned in the doc doesn't mean
creating new languages nor changing existing languages.

> > I can't imagine using Google docs for creating signage contents.
> > How do you control playlists? How do you control transition effects?
>
> http://support.google.com/drive/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1708414
>
> > How do you control durations for each ads?
>
> File -> Publish to Web, "Automatically advance presentation to the
> next slide" has a duration dialog.

If Google docs is a good solution for creating contents for signage,
why isn't it used in signage industry?

> > Existing HTML CMSs such as Google docs don't meet even the
> > requirement for the "Basic advertisement".
>
> I think it does. People use it already like this.

For signage? I didn't know that.
Could you show us some actual cases in which Google docs are used
for signage contents?

> And this is a very simple example, of course a proper CMS designed for
> creating signs can do a better job.

Yes.

> > If SMIL were implemented in ordinary web browsers,
> > the sentence would be correct.
> > We listed all possibilities in the "Gap analysis".
> > Of course, I know it's unlikely actually.
> > But no one can bet that for now.
>
> It's extremely unlikely. I don't understand how you can seriously
> consider adding SMIL onto the Web.

You misunderstand me.
I don't back up SMIL.
In the doc, it is simply listed as a possibility.

> Isn't it a better approach to list the problems of the Web in detail
> instead of introducing an entire technology stack?

The doc isn't a specification nor a standard.
It's just a material for further discussion.
The doc doesn't determine using SMIL for Web-based Signage.

> > Could be.
> > But I think it isn't big advantage.
> > I've never heard such scenario.
> > If I were an advertiser, I would prepare dedicated contents
> > for PCs or smartphones.
>
> You are missing the potential of the Web medium.
>
> A sign I see on the street showing a menu http://menu.example.com
> could be the same Web page I see whilst accessing at home or sharing a
> link with a friend on a mobile. If you want to cut your costs,
> consider using the "One Web" / responsive designs, not creating
> "dedicated contents" as you put it.

You are right.

I know what is Web.
If you want to do so, you can do it.
No one deny it.
"Web-based Signage" is achieved by only web technologies.
So it's naturally able to be viewed everywhere technically.

Cheers,
Futomi

--
Newphoria Corporation