Re: ICE freezing and Bandwidth Estimation

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 11:27 AM Christer Holmberg <
christer.holmberg@ericsson.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> >That depends on what you mean by the "ICE stack" in relation to a web
> API.  With PeerConnection, the entire "ICE stack" is buried within the
> >PeerConnection and there's a clear 1:1 relationship between PeerConnection
> and ICE agent.  With lower-level APIs like ORTC or the webrtc-ice extension
> >spec, the "ICE stack" has a division of labor between the browser and the
> web app.  This gives more control to the app, but it also means that it's
> more >complicated to coordinate freezing because basically the web app has
> to tell the browser which things should be in the same ICE agent (and have
> freezing) >and which should not.  There's no implicit 1:1 mapping like
> there is with PeerConnection.  The easiest thing to do is to say that each
> ICE thing in ORTC or >WebRTC 2.0 is a separate ICE agent with one data
> stream, like a PeerConnection when bundling.    Which means there is no
> freezing because there is only >one data stream in the ICE agent.
>

> But, are we sure that it’s really what we want?

I'm sure it's what I want.  I'm not sure what "we" you mean.

> With freezing, you ensure that at least one pair for each foundation gets
> tested as early as possible (as one pair for each foundation is initially
> set to Waiting).
>

> With a few media streams it may not matter much, but since day 1 of WebRTC
> people have been talking about use cases with tens/hundreds of streams…

Nobody is doing hundreds of streams without BUNDLE.  That would have
terrible performance.  In fact, I recall one of the major reasons why
BUNDLE was so important to WebRTC was that everyone recognized that many
ICE stream was a bad idea.

> >There are ways to "fix" this, but they are painful and of low value.
>  And no one would bother to implement it, just like almost no one bothered
> to >implement freezing.
>

> With “almost no one”, are you referring to browser vendors, or ICE vendors
> in general?

I meant browsers.  I know Chrome and Safari don't implement freezing.
Bernard makes it clear Edge doesn't.  Out of curiousity, I just looked
into  Firefox and found that it does implement freezing:

https://github.com/mozilla/gecko-dev/blob/master/media/mtransport/third_party/nICEr/src/ice/ice_media_stream.c

So I guess I should say, instead, "the majority of browsers don't support
freezing", since we do have one major browser which does.

> We also need to keep in mind that the check list procedures were
> simplified/modified in 5245bis.

That doesn't do anything to help the API complexity needed in WebRTC 2.0/NV
to support freezing.