Re: Use cases / requirements for raw data access functions

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 10:20 AM youenn fablet <yfablet@apple.com> wrote:

> [...]
> - The API should be able to process any source (camera, peer connection,
> canvas probably, meaning handling of potentially different frame formats)
> - The API should be able to produce a source consumable by peer
> connection, video elements.
> - The API should allow to do as much processing (ideally the whole
> processing) off the main thread.
> - The API should allow leveraging existing APIs such as WASM, WebGL...
>

> * Non-Standard EncodersThis set of tools can be useful for either special
> types of operations (like detecting face movement and sending only those
> for backprojection on a model head rather than sending the picture of the
> face) or for testing out experimental codecs without involving browser
> changes (such as novel SVC or simulcast strategies).*
>

> Given the potential complexity here and below, compelling use cases seem
> really important to me.
> I am not sure experimental codecs meet the bar and require a standard API.
> An experiment can always be done using a proprietary API, available to
> browser extensions for instance.
>
> As of special types of operation like detecting face movement, there might
> be alternatives using the raw image API:
> - Skip frames (say there is no head being detected)
> - Generate structured data (image descriptor eg.) and send it over data
> channel
> - Transform an image before encoding/after decoding
>

> * Needed APIs, send side: - Get raw frames from input device - Insert
> encoded frames on output transmission channel - Manipulate transmission
> setup so that normal encoder resources are not needed Needed APIs, receive
> side: - Signalling access so that one knows what codec has been agreed for
> use - Get encoded frames from the input transmission channel - Insert raw
> (decoded) frames into output device or path Pre/post-transmission
> processing - Bring Your Own Encryption This is the inverse of the situation
> above: One has a video stream and wishes to encode it into a known codec,
> but process the data further in some way before sending it. The example in
> the title is one use case. The same APIs will also allow the usage of
> different transmission media (media over the data channel, or media over
> protobufs over QUIC streams, for instance). *
>

> I like this BYO encryption use case.
> Note though that it does not specifically require to get access to the
> encoded frames before doing the encryption.
> We could envision an API to provide the encryption parameters (keys e.g.)
> so that the browser does the encryption by itself.
> Of course, it has pros (simple to implement, simple to use) and cons
> (narrow scope).
>
> I am not against adding support for scripting between encoding frames and
> sending the encoded frames.
> It seems like a powerful API.
> We must weight though how much ground we gain versus how much complexity
> we add, how much we resolve actual needs of the community...

It should be noted that mobile platforms currently provide this level of
access via MediaCodec (Android) and VideoToolbox (iOS). But I agree that
having compelling use cases is important.

> Also to be noted that getting the encoded frames, processing them and
> sending them to the network is currently done off the main thread.
> One general concern is that the more we add JavaScript at various points
> of the pipeline, the more we might decrease the
> efficiency/stability/interoperability of the realtime pipeline.

These encoded frames are typically going to go over the network, where
unexpected delays are a fact of life, and so the system is already prepared
to deal with them, e.g., via jitter buffers. (Or, the frames will be
written to a file, and this issue is entirely moot.)

This is in contrast to the "raw image" cases, that will often be operating
in a performance-critical part of the pipeline.