Encoders (Re: Getting rid of SDP)

On 03/06/2018 12:10 AM, Peter Thatcher wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 3:06 PM Sergio Garcia Murillo
> <sergio.garcia.murillo@gmail.com
> <mailto:sergio.garcia.murillo@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     More flexibility, more work, more bug surface.. ;)
>
>     Anyway, I am not particularly against having access to RTP packets
>     from the encoders,
>

> Encoders do not emit RTP packets.  They emit encoded video frames.
> Those are then packetized into RTP packets.  I'm suggesting the
> JS/wasm have access to the encoded frame before the packetization.

Actually, encoders usually take raw framebuffers (4:2:0, 4:4:4 or other
formats) + metadata and emit video frames + metadata. It may be
crucially important to get a handle on what the metadata looks like, in
order to make sure we are able to transport not just the bytes of the
frame, but the metadata too.

Metadata includes things like timing information (carried through the
encoding process), interframe dependencies (an output from the encoding
process) and preferences for encoding choices (input to the encoding
process).

We need to make sure we're not imagining things to be simpler than they
actually are.