Re: WebRTC NV Use Cases

Let me add few additional comment from Claudio inline.

He has much more understanding according his experiences with the
mentioned tool LOLA.

> On 06/18/2018 05:21 PM, Mészáros Mihály wrote:
>>
>> You are right it is low latency audio and video.
>>
>> The key how low it could be. Ultra low latency is important for
>> performing arts.
>>
>> Requirements what I could think about is to turning off the jitter
>> buffer totally, raw audio codec, (may skip encryption), no packet
>> checksum counting, so to avoid anything that could add any latency.
>>

> The requirement for reasonable quality in conversation is ~100 ms
> microphone-to-ear.
>
> The requirement for musicians playing together is (depending on who
> you ask) between 5 and 20 ms microphone-to-ear.
>

> * What are the latency requirements?

for simultaneous real time playing together, the sustainable RTT time
(note! RTT!) is below 50ms maximum, with the confort range below 35ms
for any kind of music, includint real time-synch demanding one. For some
kind of music where time is more relaxed you can add about 10ms to the RTT.

If you do a masterclass, where real time playing together is less
demanding the RTT time can exceed 100ms so also intercontinental
masterclasses can work with low latency systems. You can still work up
to 350 / 400 ms RTT but then all sort of audio echo control issues
arise, and you are again in troubles because controlling the echo oten
means affecting the sound quality.

 > * What other optimization we need to consider?

namely jitter: a high jitter make the A/V streaming slow because then
you need to add buffering, and buffering increases the latency
significanty: each 1K data packet buffers with the lowest audio sampling
size (32 or 64) increases the latency of abobut 1ms; in clean low jitter
networks you can run with 1 buffer... but if jitter is significant, you
need at least 7 - 10 buffers, which puts you quickly out of the comfort
zone.

You also need to reduce in general buffering in all libraries involved,
and also the I/O path from the NIC to the CPU/Memory shall be quick and
smooth. Interrupts to the kernel/CPU also matter a lot.r

> * Any hints other hint would be appreciated.

in general, minimizing processing time, and buffering is a matter of
parallel processing, so applications should try to use at best the
multi-core architecture which modern CPUs offer.

Misi