Re: QUIC use cases

On 1/19/2018 4:58 AM, T H Panton wrote:

>> On 19 Jan 2018, at 06:47, Bernard Aboba <Bernard.Aboba@microsoft.com
>> <mailto:Bernard.Aboba@microsoft.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Games developers are obsessed with latency, so RTT reduction is a big
>> deal (along with better tools). However they also need control of
>> maxRetransmits (often set to zero). Saying that is out of scope for
>> QUICv1 elicits puzzled expressions. In fact, the whole idea of
>> version negotiation in a transport protocol makes no sense to them
>> (e.g. no version negotiation in TCP, SCTP, DCCP, etc.)
>>

> To be clear, the RTT differences Justin is talking about are only for
> setup of a session. - Given we have to do a
> full OA exchange I'd guess only half the setup delay is due to those
> extra 4 rtts.
>
> I'm open to discussing how that number could be reduced, but that's
> IETF talk I feel.

Yes, and we've talked about how to minimize overall setup time in the
IETF by piggybacking some of the messages.  And as I said, games don't
care; RTTs in setup have far more of an impact in "call" scenarios,
especially PSTN-ish style calling (as opposed to meeting rooms) or PSTN
gateways - time until the other side starts ringing.

In some data-only uses perhaps call setup time has an impact (connect,
drop some data, disconnect, or on loading a page connect with
datachannels to pull realtime data from something like a remote robot or
stock market data or other realtime thing -- but the base "loading a
page" part probably swamps this in most cases).

> Within a session individual datachannels are 0RTT setup.

*Very* intentional and I (and others) worked hard to get and retain this.

> I don't think the RTT of messages to say an echo service would be
> different in QUIC than in DTLS/SCTP - In fact QUIC might be
> slower since it has no message mechanism, which would need to be
> layered in.

That would fall into the "implementation efficiency" bucket which will
be swamped in most cases by network time -- and as you say it's unclear
which would be better.  QUIC probably will get more eyes on
optimization, at least eventually, but who knows, and I doubt it will
matter.

> Unless we move media to QUIC, we wouldn't see the benefit there since
> the current API has the SCTP keys being generated with
> DTLS as now.

   Randell

--
Randell Jesup -- rjesup a t mozilla d o t com
Please please please don't email randell-ietf@jesup.org!  Way too much spam