Re: Recording of divs on a page

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 4:47 PM, Randell Jesup <randell-ietf@jesup.org> wrote:
> On 11/19/2017 11:24 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>
> The MediaRecorder API is defined to record media streams (audio or
> video) on a page.
>
> I remember there were discussions in the past to allow recording of
> divs on a page rather than just MediaStream objects. Does anybody know
> the status of such discussions? I wasn't able to find any specs about
> it.
>
> I'm asking because it would be nice to record the actual Web page
> rather than a screenshare of the Webpage...
>

> I don't remember discussion of recording divs (though there may have
> been)... though there has been discussion of recording tabs.
>
> Firefox has a tab-sharing API, but it's not accessible by web apps at this
> time; it was used in the former built-in Hello service.  Chrome also has
> one, as chromeMediaSource: tab, but I believe that's only available to
> installed Chrome-only extensions. Generic use (as in Hello - not the current
> tab) requires some API for selecting the tab as well.
>
> There are significant security issues about sharing data that may not be
> visible to the user, and more to the point explaining to them the
> privacy/security impact of this (thus why Chrome is limiting it).

Understand it. That's, however, not what I'm after.

It would be nice to be able to record the current page where you're
having a video call and record it using the MediaRecorder API but
record the full experience, not just the video. Also, this would just
be to record and save it locally, so there wouldn't be any security
issues with that, since you're recording what you're seeing for
yourself.

Maybe it's a new feature that hasn't been considered yet.

Cheers,
Silvia.