Re: Idea: "Enable" function for stats members?

On 01/20/2017 08:13 PM, Peter Thatcher wrote:
> We've had a similar problem in the past where someone wants only part
> of the stats and is paying a performance penalty for collecting all
> the stats.  So I like the idea of being able to opt into stats, and
> maybe opt out of, stats.
>
> But could we not just make it a filter of some sort passed into
> getStats?  Perhaps something like this:
> {
>   "newStat": true,  // I want it
>   "oldStat": false,  // I don't want it
> }
>
> But perhaps that's over-engineering it.

FIltering stats in Javascript is simple in code lines. If we could
eliminate a whole stats category, so that we could eliminate some thread
hop, that would have some performance benefit. but the most likely
implementation in general is "collect all the stats and filter out the
unwanted ones".

The chief scenario I want to avoid is:

- A adds experimental stat
- B notices the new stat, and starts grabbing it (without anyone noticing)
- A eliminates or changes the stat, so that it doesn't work for B any more
- B is upset enough to object
- A restores

we now have a stat that nobody intended to make permanent, but can't be
removed.

An explicit enabling of the experiment will:

- Make B "sign the contract" that they're accessing an experiment
- Give A a place they can instrument to figure out if anyone's doing it

I don't want to make a tool that serves too many purposes, it makes it
slippery in the hand.

--
Surveillance is pervasive. Go Dark.