Re: video track "black" vs. "frozen frame"

On 27/09/16 18:41, Bernard Aboba wrote:
> With respect to an encoding, we have RTCRtpEncodingParameters.active.
>
> This can be manipulated as shown in Example 2:
>
> var params = sender.getParameters();
> // ... make changes to RTCRtpParameters
> params.encodings[0].active = false;
> sender.setParameters(params)
>
> There is also transceiver.setDirection(), but that sets the negotiation-needed flag.

Yes, both of those methods are also available (in addition to the
transceiver.stop() method).

Assuming we want to avoid negotiation for allowing the sending app to
get a frozen video frame displayed at the video tag at the remote end,
that basically leaves us with sender.setParameters().

Is that the way we should go? And in case of multicast, should the
displayed video freeze if encoding[0] is inactive, if any of the
encodings are inactive, or only if all of them are (assuming the
receiving browser is able to receive simulcast)?

Or should we add a RtpSender global 'active' attribute? Or something else?