Re: Towards Simulcast

While I agree that RID + Plan X would qualify as a workable solution, I
think we need to be more clear about where the RID draft needs to be for
WebRTC 1.0 to depend on it.  Saying "on a trajectory to finish in 6 months"
is too vague and too long away.  It's too easy for us to end up depending
on something that drags on far too long.  If it's going to be in 1.0, I
think we need to have a milestone much sooner and more clear that if we
don't hit, we're let it go.  Like, a clear milestone coming out of IETF
94.[[

I also think we should realize that RID + Plan X is not the only option
available.  It's still possible to get simulcast into WebRTC 1.0 even
without the RID draft or the simulcast draft.  And I think it would be wise
for us to have such a backup plan if RID doesn't get done in time.  It
could be as simple as a single "a=" line the remote description, for
example.

As for what "Plan X" needs, Bernard is correct: what I proposed would not
use the simulcast draft at all, only the RID draft.  And it would only use
a subset of the RID draft.  For example, it would not use "max-width",
"max-height", "max-fps", "max-fs", "max-pps", or "depend".

​And there are, as far as I can tell two unresolved questions with Plan X
(other than being dependent on the unfinished RID draft):

1.  The RID draft may need to compensate for endpoints that don't implement
"max-width", "max-height", etc, perhaps with something in the SDP
indicating what things are supported.

2.  The RID draft may need a way to indicate the relative size/order of the
layers even if there is just a bare "a=rsid" line with no "max-width",
"max-height", etc, and the API needs a way to choose the order.

Finally the decision at the f2f that we don't want track cloning to be our
solution to simulcast should not be interpreted as a requirement that
simulcast must be WebRTC 1.0.  Not having simulcast in WebRTC 1.0 is still
an option.
​