Re: Issue 378: `getRemoteCertificates()` is ill-defined

On Sun, Nov 8, 2015 at 3:27 PM, Bernard Aboba <Bernard.Aboba@microsoft.com>
wrote:

> Dontcallmedom said:
>

> “The spec is silent about the content of the array buffers returned by
> getRemoteCertificates()”
>

> [Martin] Well, ArrayBuffer is (probably) the DER-encoded end-entity
> certificate. That's pretty useful if you have a DER decoder I guess.
>

> [BA] It's getRemoteCertificates(), which would seem to imply that more
> than one certificate can be returned.   So we could be potentially talking
> about a certificate chain (e.g. encountered by a browser contacting a
> contact center gateway).
>

> The most typically suggested use of this method is to retrieve one or more
> certificates so as to be able to display information to the user.  However,
> since it is up to the application what to do with the certificate(s),  any
> information displayed to the user is potentially untrustworthy.   For
> example, chain validation is a browser, not an application responsibility.

Actually, I'm not sure it is a browser responsibility, since there are lots
(most) cases where the peer certificate is unverifiable. At minimum you
would need a "verified" bit.

-Ekr