Re: Call for comments: New charter for WebRTC Working Group

On 18/01/2015 16:38, Cullen Jennings (fluffy) wrote:
> Specifically I would like the text in The working group will, once
> WebRTC 1.0: Real-time Communication Between Browsers  is considered
> stable enough, consider working on a new set of APIsfor real-time
> communication. changed to The working group will, once  WebRTC 1.0:
> Real-time Communication Between Browsers  is finished (at CR), the
> consider working on a new set of low level object oriented APIs for
> real-time communication.

That was more or less the intent of the existing text: given that the
new process (under which the WebRTC 1.0 spec is evolving) doesn't have a
LC, "stable" is pretty much equivalent to CR. I'm fine with either version.

> The second issue is all the documents that are joint work with with
> the DeviceWG. Having theses as joint work substantial complicates the
> issues of resolving issues near the end the draft.

I'm somewhat surprised by that comment; my impression had been that most
of the overhead that having two groups implied was shouldered by the
chairs and myself. And it didn't seem to me that our delays in getting
gUM to Last Call had anything to do with having two WGs involved.

>  It's not even
> really clear what would happen if the two WG had conflicting views on
> how to resolve an issue in the draft.

The same thing that would happen if different participants in a single
WG had conflicting views (chairs seek consensus, make a decision if none
is found, director intervenes if there is a formal objection).

> Because of this I do not think
> theses should be spread across two WG unless there is a specific
> reason to do so. I know that the reasons we originally did this have
> changed - both Microsoft and qualcom and listed on the webrtc members
> page thought I don't know their actual status - so it is not clear we
> should follow the same path with new specifications.

 From a purely procedural point of view, it's not really up to this WG
to decide whether the other Working Group wants to continue their
chartered work on the specs; in particular, this question probably
doesn't need to be settled before we move forward with the charter
(which of course doesn't mean we should not have that conversation).

In terms of what we would lose if we were to ask the Device APIs Working
Group to entrust the WebRTC Working Group with the development of these
specs and if they agreed to that request:
* the patent commitments from companies that are member of DAP and not
of WebRTC, specifically Access, Blackberry, CDT, Deutsche Telekom,
Fraunhofer Gesellschaft, IBM, iMinds, Institut Telecom, Intel, jQuery
Foundation, LG Electronics, Mitre, RITT, Sony, Tomo-Digi, UCWeb,
Vodafone, Yandex as of today

* the editor of one our spec (media capture depth stream) whose company
(Intel) is at least at this time not a Member of this group

Dom