Re: webrtc vs socks proxies (was: Re: [rtcweb] ICE exposes 'real' local IP to javascript)

As I expect you are aware, the RETURN draft currently contains contrary
guidance on this point (
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-schwartz-rtcweb-return-04#section-5.8):
"WebRTC
browsers MUST by default (i.e. unless deliberately configured otherwise)
treat SOCKS5 proxies as leaky"

My expectation is that most proxy users are _not_ using the proxy in an
attempt to improve their privacy.  Rather, they are using the proxy in an
attempt to improve their ability to access network resources, such as when
operating on a restricted network or when accessing intranet resources.
For those users, it would be unexpected and unfortunate if activating the
proxy made many websites _stop_ working.

However, the main reason for this recommendation was to maintain
compatibility with existing browsers, which (as you've noticed) do not
block UDP when a SOCKS proxy is activated.

My feeling is that browsers should provide an option to configure a sealed
proxy, but I generally expect that browser settings configuration consoles
are out of scope for this working group.

P.S. There is also the additional complication that SOCKS proxies are often
configured by PAC files, which determine proxy settings for each request
depending on its URL, but RTCPeerConnection objects are not associated with
a destination URL.