Re: Meeting times for the September 9-10th face to face

On 08/23/2015 03:38 PM, Eric Rescorla wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 9:49 PM, Bernard Aboba
> <Bernard.Aboba@microsoft.com <mailto:Bernard.Aboba@microsoft.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Aug 22, 2015, at 10:17, Simon Pietro Romano <spromano@unina.it
>     <mailto:spromano@unina.it>> wrote:
>     >
>     > Really? An option would be to hire Meetecho also for W3C meetings.
>     >
>     > Simon
>
>     [BA] Indeed it would be good for the W3C to embrace and invest in
>     its own technology.  Retiring Zakim was long overdue.  Recordings
>     would IMHO be very useful. Maybe this would be a good suggestion
>     for the AC?
>

> I'm certainly happy to have remote participation, but the current
> version seems
> to involve a fair amount of disruptive messing around with the technology
> (who's in the queue, we can't hear you, stand in the box...). I'm not sure
> that that's a good tradeoff, especially in an interim.

I've noted that having remote participants that chiefly listen,
sometimes give presentations, and sometimes give comments, seems to work
well (with my personal opinion being that having comments be proxied
from the chatroom works better than using the remote call-in facility -
switching from in-room mike to remote mike seems to always take tens of
seconds; worth it for a presentation, not worth it for a short comment).

Having multiple places with in-room conversation (the Shenzen setup)
seems to be an unsolved problem that we shouldn't attempt to solve this
time either.