Re: Add "MediaStream with worker" for video processing into the new working items of WebRTC WG

Hi All,

> On 27 Jul 2015, at 12:25, Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com> wrote:
>
> Chia-Hung,
>
> I do not support adding this item to the work of the WebRTC WG. The WG
> has an enormous amount to do already and this is largely orthogonal to the
> major thrust of our efforts, which is to enable real-time applications (e.g.,
> video conferencing.)
>
> It's a particularly bad idea to form a task force for this. While perhaps
> necessary at the time for the specific case of getUserMedia, it has been
> a real hassle to have fragmented discussion of WebRTC-related topics.

All - any concerns with the following proposal?

* Reuse the existing Media Capture Task Force (joint activity of the Device API WG and WebRTC WG) for mediacapture-worker [1] initially. The proposal was introduced to the TF already by CTai, and I don't recall hearing any concerns on adding it to the TF.

* When the Timed Media Working Group has launched, consider migrating [1] there. AC review of that WG's Charter is ongoing [5], so I'd expect launch by TPAC if things go very smoothly.

This way, we would not block on the WG creation. Also we would not create a new CG or WG we know may be obsoleted soon (assuming the Timed Media WG will be the long-term home).

Why I'd like to see us make a decision on this soonish is that I've noticed positive signals and interest from other browser vendors (e.g. Google on WHATWG list). It'd be good to be able to point these people to the right group and get the discussion going.

For that to happen, I'd like to see us land on an agreement what the home for this work is.

> If you want to pursue standardization of this technology, you should form
> a separate W3C WG. You might also consider taking it to the
> Timed Media WG.

My expectation is there would be a rather smooth migration path from the Media Capture Task Force into the Timed Media Working Group for deliverables that are in scope for both the TF and the Timed Media WG. To me it seems as if that would be the case: see "Video Stream Functions" in [6] and "Low Level Audio and Video support" in [7].

Thanks,

-Anssi

[5]: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-new-work/2015Jul/0020.html
[6]: http://www.w3.org/2015/07/webrtc-charter.html#deliverables