Re: No-channel vs some-channel initial offers (Re: Proposal: offerDataChannel in RTCOfferOptions)

On 29/04/15 18:07, Peter Thatcher wrote:
> I think it makes sense to start an ICE transport even if it isn't
> attached to any media or data channels.  If you add media later and
> BUNDLE ends up being enabled (and most the time it will be), then you
> get your ICE setup earlier than you would otherwise.   And adding data
> channels in the SDP seems like a good way to do that.  And things Just
> Work for developers using data channels and nothing else.  And Justin's
> argument that there is network cost for having data channels on by
> default goes away.
>
> It's a little weird that the existence of data channels in SDP is
> dependent on when you add media (before or after calling createOffer),
> but it seems like a pretty good tradeoff to me. So I'm in favor of a
> rule like "if you call createOffer with before you add tracks, a
> transport for data channels gets negotiated in the SDP".

What would be the downside with always offering a data channel m-line
(by default)? Would a lot of legacy equipment choke? I assume that any
endpoint that would support data would also support Bundle so the cost
should be low.

And (orthogonal): if the initial offer included a data channel m-line,
but it was refused by the answerer, should this mean that any calls to
createDataChannel should fail (it is unlikely that a renegotiation would
render a different result)?

Stefan