Re: New editor's draft (v20140321)

On 23 Mar 2014, at 23:50, Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> wrote:

> On 03/21/2014 03:50 PM, Michael Tuexen wrote:
>> On 21 Mar 2014, at 14:06, Adam Bergkvist <adam.bergkvist@ericsson.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> A new version of the editor's draft is available.
>>>
>>> Dated version: http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/editor/archives/20140321/webrtc.html
>>> Living document: http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/editor/webrtc.html
>>>
>>> Changes include:
>>>
>>>    Default DTMF gap changed from 50 to 70 ms.
>>>    Bug 24875: Examples in the WebRTC spec are not updated As per the modified API.
>>>

>>> Please review and provide feedback.
>> Data channels still have an Attribute called 'maxRetransmitTime', limiting the
>> time for retransmissions (only). Is this intentionally?
>> If you really want to limit the time for retransmissions only and not the lifetime
>> of the message, than we need to define a corresponding PR-SCTP policy for that.
>> Up to now I assumed that you want to limit the lifetime of the user message...
>
> The intention was to expose the control knob that the existing SCTP API exposes, not to define anything new. Can you suggest a text update to make this clear?
Sure, I did that already end of January, therefore I wasn't sure if it was
just forgotten or rejected on purpose.
Here is the suggestion again:
Replace
maxRetransmitTime
by
maxLifeTime.

Replace
... or set a time during which retransmissions are allowed (maxRetransmitTime).
by
... or set a time during which transmissions and retransmissions are allowed (maxLifeTime).

Replace
maxRetransmitTime of type unsigned, readonly , nullable
The RTCDataChannel.maxRetransmitTime attribute returns the length of the time window (in milliseconds) during which retransmissions may occur in unreliable mode, or null if unset. The attribute MUST be initialized to null by default and MUST return the value to which it was set when the RTCDataChannel was created.

by

maxLifeTime of type unsigned, readonly , nullable
The RTCDataChannel.maxLifeTime attribute returns the length of the time window (in milliseconds) during which transmissions and retransmissions may occur in unreliable mode, or null if unset. The attribute MUST be initialized to null by default and MUST return the value to which it was set when the RTCDataChannel was created.

Replace

maxRetransmitTime of type unsigned short
Limits the time during which the channel will retransmit data if not successfully delivered. This value may be clamped if it exceeds the maximum value supported by the user agent.

by

maxLifeTime of type unsigned short
Limits the time during which the channel will transmit or retransmit data if not acknowledged. This value may be clamped if it exceeds the maximum value supported by the user agent.

Best regards
Michael