Re: What is missing for building "real" services?

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 6:01 AM, Tsahi Levent-Levi
<tsahi.leventlevi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> One of the things that I am seeing is the lack of support in websites.
>
> WebRTC works great on a webpage, but not in websites. This means that it
> makes perfect sense to use it in SPAs (single page application), but if I
> want to embed it into a website (an ecommerce one for example) - it is far
> from easy - the moment the user leaves the page in favor of another one -
> the call drops.
> This causes a lot of vendors offering click-to-call services that get
> embedded into websites to open up the video/audio session in a separate
> browser window, which then doesn't float around. The experience you get is
> broken due to that.
>
> Fixing this by having a way for the service to express the fact that it
> wishes to maintain WebRTC sessions across web pages within the same domain -
> or in any other way - will imrpove usability.

Hmm, interesting challenge. I don't think there is a way to retain
objects between navigations, not even same-domain.
You can create a separate browser window with window.open() [1] and it
remains open while navigating. But it doesn't stay on top FAICT.

[1] http://www.quirksmode.org/js/popup.html

Silvia.