Re: Update of Doohickey/AddTrack proposal

On 2014-02-06 19:31, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
> On 02/04/2014 02:13 PM, Adam Bergkvist wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> How should we proceed with this proposal? I don't think we will gain
>> as much when it comes to simplicity if we just remove addStream(), but
>> keep the concept of tracks belonging to a MediaStream when they are
>> sent over an RTCPeerConnection (as Stefan argues in a branch of this
>> thread). That was at least what I had in mind when I argued against
>> addStream() in [1].
>
> I think communicating the stream concept (which streams exist that have
> this track as part of it) is important; if we don't communicate it, it's
> impossible to reconstruct the streams on the receiving side.

Just because *we* don't signal it, doesn't mean that such information
can't be sent (if necessary for the app). Simple (and legacy compatible)
apps would perhaps use a single stream for all incoming tracks, and
multi MediaStream apps could signal a list of track id's that makes up a
MediaStream.

Which streams exist and what tracks they contain is subject to change.
If that's something we want to reflect to the other side then that could
involve a lot of signaling (that needs to be specified but could be made
easier if it was app specific).

/Adam