Re: onicegatheringstatechange VS onicecandidate with candidate==null (just one of them, please)

On Sat, Dec 27, 2014 at 1:40 PM, Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc@aliax.net> wrote:

> Hi, I understand that the way to go is to fire
> onicegatheringstatechange when ICE gathering is done so the user can
> check its status via:
>
>   if (pc.iceGatheringState === 'complete') {  ...  }
>
> Currently that is not implemented in any browser (AFAIK) so the
> old/deprecated onicecandidate with candidate==null is still in use.
>
> Should I understand that once onicegatheringstatechange is
> implemented, browsers won't also emit a onicecandidate with
> candidate==null?

I'm not convinced this is a good idea. The null candidate lets an
implementation
simply send the candidates to the other side and the null candidate can be
used to know that no more candidates are coming. That seems simpler than
having a special app affordance to indicate this.

-Ekr