Re: <video> pause vs MediaStreamTrack.enabled

On 04/28/2014 09:23 PM, cowwoc wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What's the difference between pausing a <video> and invoking
> MediaStreamTrack.enabled = false?
>
> I read that in the former case, the audio gets paused too whereas in
> the latter case it does not but what are the other differences?
> In both cases, does the network streaming actually stop? Or is
> streaming still taking place but not being rendered?
>
> The specification document doesn't seem to address this.

The WebRTC specification does not specify the behaviour of the <video>
element, and the HTML5 specification doesn't specify the behaviour of
the MediaStreamTrack object. They're not the same.

In this particular case, a <video> element is a controller for both
audio and video. It's got one "pause" function that stops both.

A MediaStreamTrack is either a video track or an audio track, it does
not contain both. So it would be profoundly unnatural if enabled=false
on an audio track would affect video on another track.

A PeerConnection decides what to stream. We have a current proposal
(RTCRtpSender) for explicit control of whether it streams or not for a
given track.

Please keep the concerns separate.