RE: Transport control API

Hi,

cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org wrote:

>I'd like to bring the following to
> your attention: if you download a large file from DropBox, HTTP will ramp up
> to the peak download rate within 3 seconds.

I understand you don't mean "3 seconds" literally, but I find that still a huge oversimplification. How HTTP/TCP download rates behave at the start-up depend at least on the number of TCP connections used, TCP's initial congestion window size (used to be 3 segments, now often more), and the RTT. 3 seconds contains a lot of RTTs on your LAN, but not so many between hosts on different continents.

>      I hope we can all agree that it's unacceptable for it to be taking
> 1-5 minutes to reach the peak rate.

I agree that it should not need to take that long.

Markus