Re: Handling simulcast

On 09/06/2013 07:40 PM, Martin Thomson wrote:
> On 6 September 2013 10:29, Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> wrote:
>> It's not the lack of proposals that is preventing forward movement.....
> You can scratch a=inactive, since in the unified plan, both simulcast
> streams will appear on the same m-line.  Though that would require
> that the browser know that the two tracks are the "same", which leads
> to a similar problem.

Yep, the "JS-driven" approach would have them appear on different
m-lines, since they're different tracks in all aspects until they hit
the playback entity. That's not what's been hinted at in the
unified-plan document.

The other approach - handling the whole simulcast thing with either
layered codecs or other means "under the covers" - has attractive
features from a browser perspective (because it means one can utilize
all mechanisms the browser has available) and from the JS perspective
(because the only thing one has to do for simulcast is ask for it) - but
since the "js-driven" approach has been raised, I think it's good to
explore it.