Re: Handling simulcast

On 2013-09-05 19:33, Martin Thomson wrote:
> There was a question about how to do simulcast on the call.  Here's
> how it might be possible to do simulcast without additional API
> surface.
>
> 1. Acquire original stream containing one video track.
> 2. Clone the track and rescale it.
> 3. Assemble a new stream containing the original and the rescaled track.
> 4. Send the stream.
> 5. At the receiver, play the video stream.
>
> That's the user part, now for the under-the-covers stuff:

One use of simulcast I had in mind was for the usual multiparty, with
central node, conferencing case where the active speaker is shown in a
large video window (with thumbnail videos for others).

For this case I think we already have the basic things needed:

* each participant sends high and low resolution video of the same scene
(as you outline above)
* the central node forwards the low, or high resolution, version based
on active speaker decision

What is missing is the possibility to stop sending the high (or low)
resolution video from the end-point to the central node if it is not
forwarded to anyone. This would basically be to save transmission, and
we would need pause/resume, but as others have pointed out a video track
can be disabled (which would lead to encoding blackness) which also
saves a lot of bits.

To handle the case you describe below we would need to add some kind of
meta data to the track, but it does not seem that hard to do.