Re: Why does screen sharing require a browser extension?

> On 11/26/2013 09:09 AM, cowwoc wrote:
>> Hi Justin,
>>
>> On 25/11/2013 6:58 PM, Justin Uberti wrote:
>>> Others have already made the points I was going to, but I'll summarize:
>>> - Screensharing is more dangerous than webcam access, because the
>>> attacker can record the screen, AND control what is displayed on it.
>>
>> Agreed but only if you interpret screen-sharing as co-browsing. It is
>> possible to limit screen-sharing to read-only screen recording,
>> without the ability to control what is being displayed on it, in
>> which case none of these security concerns exist.
>
> Gili, it's a JAVASCRIPT APPLICATION.
>
> What Javascript applications do in general is to control what the
> browser shows on the screen.
>
> Unless you want to limit screencasting to 'casting everything EXCEPT
> for the browser (a very marginal use case, and totally inconsistent
> with everything people are currently deploying screencasting for), the
> Javascript will be able to control whatever Javascript is usually able
> to control.
>
> Please think this through.

Harald,

You seem to be misunderstanding what I had in mind. I'm talking about
the following:

Alice opens bank.com in tab 1, screenshare.com in tab 2. She instructs
the WebRTC application in tab 2 to screen-share tab 1. It is my
understanding that Javascript cannot do cross-tab scripting, and as such
we'd be safe. The cross-tab operation is being implemented by the
browser, not Javascript.

Gili