Re: Request to Add "username" property to RTCIceServer Object

On 03/16/2013 02:43 AM, Justin Uberti wrote:
> The realm is supplied by the TURN server during the allocation
> process; if a realm value was specified to the API, I imagine we would
> have to ignore the TURN server if the realms didn't match. I don't
> know how valuable that is.

The mechanism here is described in RFC 5389 section 10.2 - the imagined
usage here is that one has a table of username/passwords in the client
and uses the realm as a lookup key. When following the proposed API
pattern, we already know which server we're talking to; offhand, I can't
think of a realistic case where a single server name would point to
servers replying with different realms.

The security folks among us will have to say whehter there's an attack
that I haven't thought of involving the ability to specify realm - if
not, some document (perhaps the IETF -security-arch document) may need
to say that it's OK to provision realm by just accepting anything the
server says, rather than configuring it.